Open vs. Closed RPs?
Just a question I wanted to throw out there: any interest in having two separate "General RP" categories, one for "Open" RPs for everyone to join and one for "Closed" RPs? I'm curious to see how people on the site would react.
I would absolutely love if the role play board was separated like that. I also think obviously dead or completed role plays should go into an archive board.
Yes, it would be nice if the obviously dead or completed role plays went into an archive, but I want to be considerate of the mods we have here as that would require them "pruning" the RPs on a pretty regular basis.

Speaking of which, who are the mods here? How does one become a mod if they were interested in becoming one?
Hello, this is your friendly neighborhood admin, Buggy.

Personally, as the main moderator of the RP section of the board, I don't see the need for separate forums for open and closed RPs. Most members of the site are fairly diligent about stating whether a new thread they're beginning is opened or closed with another member. In the time I've been a moderator here, it's always been fairly consistently stated whether a thread is open or closed.

As for archiving dead RP threads, they tend to archive themselves, so to speak. If a thread is inactive, it gets bumped lower in the RP section by active threads. It's not as if you have to wade through dead threads to find live ones; the active threads are always bumped to the top of the forum.

Lyric is the main administrator of this site; in the past, he approached people who he intended to offer moderator positions to. We have a pretty strong mod/admin team, so I don't know if anyone else is needed. You could always PM lyric about it, though.
Sometimes, the world is cruel to shiny things...
I don't think it's so much about people not labeling their thread as open or closed, because people are pretty good about that. Rather, if someone is looking for an open role play to participate in, they can go straight to the open board instead of having to scroll through a combination of open and closed threads.
(02-02-2015, 02:11 AM)pregnancywanted Wrote: Speaking of which, who are the mods here? How does one become a mod if they were interested in becoming one?

You can always see who the current mods and admins are by scrolling down to the very bottom of the main forum webpage and clicking on "Forum Team."
---            

If you have an issue, I can help! PM me or email me here--> thekicking@gmail.com
Could we revisit the topic of the role play section being split between open and closed role plays?

I'm noticing that closed threads are dominating, which of course is fine, but then I think about someone who wants to find an open role play to join. That have to scroll through a list of closed threads before finding an open one. I think it would just be convenient if open threads had their own home, so anyone looking for an open role play can go there directly. Meanwhile, closed threads have their own home.

Again, it's not about people not properly labeling their threads, but more about people having convenient access to what they're looking for.
But open roleplays may eventually become closed roleplays once a certain number of people join. Would be a pain to have to move the thread to another forum when that occurs.
(12-18-2015, 12:33 AM)oh2bpreg Wrote: But open roleplays may eventually become closed roleplays once a certain number of people join.  Would be a pain to have to move the thread to another forum when that occurs.

I think if whoever starts the role play has the intention of marking the thread as closed once X number of people join, they should just start it in the closed section. They can even mark in the title "X slots available until closed." I think it's more about the end goal, not how it starts.
(12-18-2015, 04:22 AM)RedThunderYellowSky Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 12:33 AM)oh2bpreg Wrote: But open roleplays may eventually become closed roleplays once a certain number of people join.  Would be a pain to have to move the thread to another forum when that occurs.

I think if whoever starts the role play has the intention of marking the thread as closed once X number of people join, they should just start it in the closed section. They can even mark in the title "X slots available until closed." I think it's more about the end goal, not how it starts.

But then you're creating a problem where open threads won't get filled because no one is going into the "closed threads" section to look for an open forum.

It's really not that hard to find an open rp.  

Go to the rp thread section.  hit ctrl+F, type "open". hit enter.  hit the down arrow to scroll through open threads.  Lather, rinse and repeat on older pages.
(12-18-2015, 11:27 PM)oh2bpreg Wrote:
(12-18-2015, 04:22 AM)RedThunderYellowSky Wrote:

But then you're creating a problem where open threads won't get filled because no one is going into the "closed threads" section to look for an open forum.

It's really not that hard to find an open rp.  

Go to the rp thread section.  hit ctrl+F, type "open". hit enter.  hit the down arrow to scroll through open threads.  Lather, rinse and repeat on older pages.

Thanks for taking a piss all over that, then.
(12-20-2015, 04:50 AM)RedThunderYellowSky Wrote: Thanks for taking a piss all over that, then.

Not kosher.
---            

If you have an issue, I can help! PM me or email me here--> thekicking@gmail.com
(12-20-2015, 05:18 AM)TheKicking Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 04:50 AM)RedThunderYellowSky Wrote: Thanks for taking a piss all over that, then.

Not kosher.

Not Jewish.
(12-20-2015, 05:45 AM)RedThunderYellowSky Wrote:
(12-20-2015, 05:18 AM)TheKicking Wrote:

Not kosher.

Not Jewish.

Be polite.
---            

I think I found a solution for you guys. It's not perfect but it should do what you want it to do.

http://mpregcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7909
---            

RedThunder, while that was a swift and perfect comeback, it was a bit uncalled for...let's just all get along. I know this idea would make extra and unnecessary work for the mods, but would it be possible to try the separated-RP board method for just a short while to see how it goes? I mean, I don't care one way or another, but I feel like it would be an semi-plausible way to settle the dispute. That way the mods can see if they think it's feasible, and the people requesting it can see if it works as well for them as they are hoping.
I'm not a bad driver. I just drive drive better at an altitude of 3,500 feet where I'm not surrounded by morons.
(01-16-2016, 11:58 PM)Sazzy Wrote:  I know this idea would make extra and unnecessary work for the mods, but would it be possible to try the separated-RP board method for just a short while to see how it goes?  

It would be a lot of extra work, however, I did manage to find something that I think will be almost as good. 

Please look here.

Putting prefixes in front of threads will allow people to hide any threads that do not have a particular prefix. In this way, you guys can filter threads and we don't have to split the forums.
---            

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proposals thread - READ BEFORE YOU ASK FOR RPS! xHappyBumpx 11 10,144 09-27-2015, 12:28 AM
Last Post: WombWithAView
  Can we do fandom rps? Emmy_Cathy 1 1,821 08-09-2014, 01:48 AM
Last Post: TheKicking