Torchwood: Expectant
Big Finish Audio
I'm just curious if anyone here has listened to one the recent releases from Torchwood's monthly range titled 'Expectant' which is basically Jack Harkness taking on the role of a surrogate (since he can canonically get pregnant) and ultimately giving birth to the next ruler of an alien race. It's currently available for download on Big Finish's website for $7.99 and is just over an hour long. I was just curious if anyone else has heard it and if it would be worth my money.

Here's a link to the page (where you can also listen to the trailer): https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/tor...ctant-1913

And an overview of the story for anyone interested:

The Yalnix Empire is a fragile alliance of a dozen systems, under constant attack from their ancient enemy, the Vad. With the Empress unable to trust any of her court she gives the job of growing the next Ruler of the Yalnix to an old friend - Captain Jack Harkness.

With hunters on the loose and a battlefleet in orbit, Cardiff’s suddenly became a dangerous place for a man to be pregnant.
(07-10-2020, 12:42 PM)TheRubyStorm Wrote: I'm just curious if anyone here has listened to one the recent releases from Torchwood's monthly range titled 'Expectant' which is basically Jack Harkness taking on the role of a surrogate (since he can canonically get pregnant) and ultimately giving birth to the next ruler of an alien race.  It's currently available for download on Big Finish's website for $7.99 and is just over an hour long.  I was just curious if anyone else has heard it and if it would be worth my money.  

Here's a link to the page (where you can also listen to the trailer): https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/tor...ctant-1913

The Yalnix Empire is a fragile alliance of a dozen systems, under constant attack from their ancient enemy, the Vad. With the Empress unable to trust any of her court she gives the job of growing the next Ruler of the Yalnix to an old friend - Captain Jack Harkness.

With hunters on the loose and a battlefleet in orbit, Cardiff’s suddenly became a dangerous place for a man to be pregnant.

Hey! So a friend of mine is obsessed with the tv show Torchwood and has purchased multiple of the episodes with their account, after your comment I was curious about it and asked if I could give it a listen. And he had it!

The episode is an audiobook style of story that goes for 57 minutes (when you purchase it, it comes with 10 minutes of extras) and it talks through the emotional and physical perils of a man in the second, and last week, of his alien pregnancy. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it! There are many gags about mood swings and cravings and they are treated in a nice comical way (not insensitive or too overdone), but it also shows a very real and emotional side to the character as the pregnancy is out of grief and loss. It is compelling and you can tell that the voice-actor was having a lot of fun with his role!

There is no birth scene, but there is a long birth-like scene that takes place wherein Jack Harkness is hurting as he enters labour, or the "final stage" of his pregnancy, before he is able to go onto a birthing ship for a caesarean section. This "birth scene" goes on for probably 10-15 minutes. It is a little bit plot-based, meaning that with his pregnancy there are some other components, but that doesn't take away from the story/enjoyment at all.

I really enjoyed it and would gladly listen to it again! However, I understand that the price factors into it,  but I think it could be worth it for those who enjoy audiobooks, mpreg and John Barrowman (the actor of Jack Harkness) complaining about how hormonal and nauseous he is. However, $7.99 for 57 minutes of story, with 10 minutes of extras is something that needs to come into consideration.

BUT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! Whether you chose to buy it or not it is your choice, these are just my thoughts (as someone who didn't have to pay for it, but understands the cost)
(07-12-2020, 04:21 PM)Mpreg_trash Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 12:42 PM)TheRubyStorm Wrote: I'm just curious if anyone here has listened to one the recent releases from Torchwood's monthly range titled 'Expectant' which is basically Jack Harkness taking on the role of a surrogate (since he can canonically get pregnant) and ultimately giving birth to the next ruler of an alien race.  It's currently available for download on Big Finish's website for $7.99 and is just over an hour long.  I was just curious if anyone else has heard it and if it would be worth my money.  

Hey! So a friend of mine is obsessed with the tv show Torchwood and has purchased multiple of the episodes with their account, after your comment I was curious about it and asked if I could give it a listen. And he had it!

The episode is an audiobook style of story that goes for 57 minutes (when you purchase it, it comes with 10 minutes of extras) and it talks through the emotional and physical perils of a man in the second, and last week, of his alien pregnancy. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it! There are many gags about mood swings and cravings and they are treated in a nice comical way (not insensitive or too overdone), but it also shows a very real and emotional side to the character as the pregnancy is out of grief and loss. It is compelling and you can tell that the voice-actor was having a lot of fun with his role!

There is no birth scene, but there is a long birth-like scene that takes place wherein Jack Harkness is hurting as he enters labour, or the "final stage" of his pregnancy, before he is able to go onto a birthing ship for a caesarean section. This "birth scene" goes on for probably 10-15 minutes. It is a little bit plot-based, meaning that with his pregnancy there are some other components, but that doesn't take away from the story/enjoyment at all.

I really enjoyed it and would gladly listen to it again! However, I understand that the price factors into it,  but I think it could be worth it for those who enjoy audiobooks, mpreg and John Barrowman (the actor of Jack Harkness) complaining about how hormonal and nauseous he is. However, $7.99 for 57 minutes of story, with 10 minutes of extras is something that needs to come into consideration.

BUT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! Whether you chose to buy it or not it is your choice, these are just my thoughts (as someone who didn't have to pay for it, but understands the cost)

Hi, thanks for posting this :). I have a question: what about the parts where the belly is described? Are they good or detailed? In addition to cravings, are there other scenes related to pregnancy, such as feeling the baby inside or body changes?
(07-12-2020, 04:21 PM)Mpreg_trash Wrote: Hey! So a friend of mine is obsessed with the tv show Torchwood and has purchased multiple of the episodes with their account, after your comment I was curious about it and asked if I could give it a listen. And he had it!

Thanks for this! This is EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. I am a bit disappointed that there's no "birth scene" as I am an mpreg birth junkie and was really hoping Torchwood would have gone a different route than a c-section, especially since Doctor Who made a go of it and Doctor Who is much milder in comparison to Torchwood. But your review definitely gave me a lot to consider. Much appreciated! :D
This looks pretty good. I love John Borrowman too. I do think 8 bucks is a bit much though. I'll have to
think about it.

Thank you so much for posting this.
(07-12-2020, 04:58 PM)rdalh Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 04:21 PM)Mpreg_trash Wrote:

Hi, thanks for posting this :). I have a question: what about the parts where the belly is described? Are they good or detailed? In addition to cravings, are there other scenes related to pregnancy, such as feeling the baby inside or body changes?
Yeah there are lots of scenes where Jack is complaining about his weight gain, reflux and nausea and his body adapting to him about to "give birth". He talks about being able to feel the baby move and kick and the back strain on him. There aren't any parts that explicitly talk about his belly, however he does complain about feeling fat. So it doesn't go into great detail about that.
(07-13-2020, 12:57 AM)Hla Wrote: This looks pretty good. I love John Borrowman too. I do think 8 bucks is a bit much though. I'll have to
think about it.

Thank you so much for posting this.

You're welcome! I'm happy to help out.
So I was weak and I bought it ?. I really enjoyed it. The pacing was pretty good and they thrust us immediately into the action. The quality of the production was also high. I agree that they weren't overly cliched with the pregnancy symptoms.
I highly recommend it to everybody.
Hi everyone! I'm posting on this old thread because I had a question for anyone who bought the audio drama:
I had bought it, but I can't find it at all on my laptop. Does anyone know what the divided audio files
were called?
Thanks!