Junior
Does anyone have any behind the scenes videos or photos from Junior? Would love to see Arny with that big belly!
I had this idea that if they remade it, Patrick Schwarzenegger would play the lead, with Awkwafina playing the Danny DeVito role. Mainly because I just wanna hear Awkwafina go, "Guys don't get pregnant! That's one of the advantages you have at being a dude!"

Patrick Schwarzenegger as Alex Hesse
Awkwafina as Laura Arbogast
Zoey Deutch as Diana Reddin
Michael Shannon as Noah Banes
Lana Condor as Angela Arbogast (reimagined as Laura's knocked up sister instead of ex-wife)
(05-27-2023, 05:21 AM)redone2002 Wrote: I had this idea that if they remade it, Patrick Schwarzenegger would play the lead, with Awkwafina playing the Danny DeVito role. Mainly because I just wanna hear Awkwafina go, "Guys don't get pregnant! That's one of the advantages you have at being a dude!"

Patrick Schwarzenegger as Alex Hesse
Awkwafina as Laura Arbogast
Zoey Deutch as Diana Reddin
Michael Shannon as Noah Banes
Lana Condor as Angela Arbogast (reimagined as Laura's knocked up sister instead of ex-wife)

I was just thinking about this movie the other day and what sort of casting choices and changes I would make for a modern remake. One thing I did always appreciate about it was that they chose an unconventional actor to play the role of a pregnant man and it wasn't played just for laughs. Arnold Schwarzenegger played it straight as a man who genuinely had bonded with his baby and wanted to be a father and it was endearing to see this powerfully built guy be so tender and vulnerable. The suggestion Danny DeVito could also become pregnant in the future was neat too because it normalizes the idea of pregnancy being open to people of all body types and genders. I like the idea of Patrick reprising the role played by his father too and I'm a fan of Awkwafina so that's an interesting idea.

My own dream cast for a remake would be:

Henry Cavill as Alex Hesse 
Jack Black as Larry Arbogast
Elizabeth Henstridge as Dr. Diana Reddin (I would tone down the clumsy gag, that was a tiresome trope for "quirky" female characters even before Bella Swan lol)
Jonathan Banks as Noah Banes
Maya Rudolph as Angela Arbogast (Because I would honestly just love to see her and Jack Black riffing off each other).

As far as behind-the-scenes content I only found one interview Arnold gave posted up on Youtube. I wish they would release a DVD with some extended content though. I do know Danny DeVito apparently tricked Arnold into getting high on the set, which is a pretty funny story.
Tom Hardy as Alex Hesse
(05-30-2023, 06:46 PM)maora_way Wrote: Tom Hardy as Alex Hesse

Funny you mention Tom Hardy. In the oral history making-of book on Mad Max: Fury Road, a deleted scene that never saw the light of day was a dream sequence in which Hardy was pregnant and gave birth. Prosthetic belly and all.
(05-30-2023, 07:43 PM)thebellyphysician Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 06:46 PM)maora_way Wrote: Tom Hardy as Alex Hesse

Funny you mention Tom Hardy. In the oral history making-of book on Mad Max: Fury Road, a deleted scene that never saw the light of day was a dream sequence in which Hardy was pregnant and gave birth. Prosthetic belly and all.

I didn't know that! Also, I love the idea of Tom Hardy as Alex Hesse!

I took a screenshot of the part where they mention the scene in the e-book version. So it does exist somewhere out there, clips of Tom pregnant and giving birth.
We're all members of one human family! ^_^
One great big, loving, dysfunctional family. -_-;

MRCA
Human Family Tree
(06-03-2023, 12:16 AM)mprego2 Wrote: I took a screenshot of the part where they mention the scene in the e-book version. So it does exist somewhere out there, clips of Tom pregnant and giving birth.

OMG OMG
WOW JUST WOW

too bad we cant see it
I do remember that interview with Arnie, but that's about all that I personally know of with regards to any 'extras' of 'behind the scenes' for this film. There's bound to be outtakes of some sort out there at the least, but I've never personally come across anything. 

I know 'Junior' has come for some flak in the past, but I honestly didn't think it was a bad film at all. If anything, it was probably about 20 years ahead of it's time. Sure, it wasn't perfect. Far from it. However, for what it was for when it was made, I thought it was an alright effort. It certainly accelerated my interest in Mpreg, but obviously back in those days I didn't even know Mpreg was a 'thing'.

I would think a re-make with more modern filming methods and better prosthetics would be a good idea. I'd happily watch it and I suspect in this day and age, whilst it would obviously have it's critics (and that's fine...), I feel it would be much more popular the 'second time round'.
(06-03-2023, 08:27 PM)Belly Button Wrote: I do remember that interview with Arnie, but that's about all that I personally know of with regards to any 'extras' of 'behind the scenes' for this film. There's bound to be outtakes of some sort out there at the least, but I've never personally come across anything. 

I know 'Junior' has come for some flak in the past, but I honestly didn't think it was a bad film at all. If anything, it was probably about 20 years ahead of it's time. Sure, it wasn't perfect. Far from it. However, for what it was for when it was made, I thought it was an alright effort. It certainly accelerated my interest in Mpreg, but obviously back in those days I didn't even know Mpreg was a 'thing'.

I would think a re-make with more modern filming methods and better prosthetics would be a good idea. I'd happily watch it and I suspect in this day and age, whilst it would obviously have it's critics (and that's fine...), I feel it would be much more popular the 'second time round'.

He's Expecting on Netflix seemed to do pretty well and wasn't horribly received. They did veer from the manga it was based on quite a bit and it took some darker turns but I don't mind adaptations doing their own thing like some people do. 

Junior is a lot of people's introduction to Mpreg that are millennials I think, and it does get some deserved criticism because it is a product of its time and could be improved on. However, I do tend to give it credit because it is also one of the first more mainstream Mpreg movies to do something significant; it did play Arnold's pregnancy and desire to be a father straight. It was sentimental to the point of saccharine very often but I can forgive that because Arnold being pregnant wasn't the comedy. You didn't laugh because: "Ha-ha! This big man is pregnant and that can't happen!" by appealing to some of the worst stereotypes you sometimes see when Mpreg is the punchline to a joke. The sincerity of a story surrounding a man who becomes pregnant by (admittedly very threadbare) science and struggles with both the unknowns of that and going to lengths in protecting the child he wants to have deserves at least a little love from me. There are quite a few things I would update and change but at least it is a movie with some heart behind it.
I remember there being an episode of “Entertainment Tonight” that went behind the scenes in the making of Junior. It was a weekend show, and that one was an hour. I recorded it, but I only got the last five minutes of it as a sports game ran long and interrupted most of the broadcast. I never saw the whole thing.
I found it! I found it! Matthew W. Mungle, check out his website. He did a lot of pregnant bellies: http://www.wmcreationsinc.com/pregnancy-make-ups

(06-07-2023, 02:59 AM)redone2002 Wrote: I found it! I found it! Matthew W. Mungle, check out his website. He did a lot of pregnant bellies: http://www.wmcreationsinc.com/pregnancy-make-ups

Oh wow, especially considering these are from the 90s the level of detail is truly fantastic! Really nice find!
Woah! Thanks for those pictures. I hadn't come across any of those before. That middle picture in particular is excellent!

Indeed, for a film that's now pushing 30 years old - those bellies are decent for their time. I remember being notably impressed with how Arnie's turned out in that 'lying down in bed asleep' scene...