I'm just sayin...
The woe of being an mpreg grammar nazi is limitless.
They're also applicable to the general spectrum of those who like mpreg. I was on the old site ages ago, and I've been on others as well.
Is anyone else annoyed by horrible roleplay partners? Its not that they're bad people, but their roleplay skills are raher atrocious. I've been lucky enough to have no partners like this, or very few; often, those few improve.
I myself can't stand when people roleplay in first person. Its just obnoxious for me to read. If you're doing a one-on-one roleplay, its more acceptable, but in an open roleplay its a pain, and comes across as attention-beggar-ish, regardless of the stats of the poster. Now if you've been posting longer replies and have hit a block or lost interest, I understand. I also understand if you start out short, then blossom into paragraphs of wonder.
However, people who come into a roleplay with short posts that have no real depth are disheartening; moreso when their grammar skills are lacking or if they're using script.
Now big long posts don't always mean quality. It can also mean pointless detail that distracts, or needless descriptions. Deacription is one thing, but (unless you're in a roleplay with someone who likes it) too much realism or fantasy in a roleplay gets dull.
Yeah, that's all i have to say really xD not aimed at anyone, just a generalization
 No longer RP Active 
Going straight down to hell when I die. 

This is a HUGE part of why I don't RP here (also because I have a weird shyness about making initial contact with new RP partner's).

I prefer a well thought, prose-style RP with at least some semblance of a plot. If involved in this kind of roleplay, I prefer it to be several sentences to a paragraph, and well thought out. I like detail, especially about the characters' movements and actions, or what they look like. But I'm also a detailed writer, and prefer to read detailed writing.

I do also enjoy one-to-one RP as well, mostly over instant messenger, and mostly with my best friend. We've been IM role-playing since 2006, and still play with a lot of the same characters from eight years ago! We prefer damaged characters, the kinds who have faced trauma in the past, or lost a loved one in a terrible way, or who are so overlooked no one even remembers their name! We like to bring them to our world and let them fix themselves and each other.

That sort of RP is script-style, but we put description in asterisks.

I'm really picky about who I play with and have had exactly five long-term role play partner's who have caught and held my interest. So I totally understand your plight.
Sometimes, the world is cruel to shiny things...
Oh gosh I'm not alone. I've paragraphed for years, and only one partner has held my interest for over 5 years, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who prefers grammar and substance over immediate replies.
Lawl, BG, you have a support group now.

I feel the same way, but about mpreg fiction. Sometimes I just want to go around and edit everything... But I resist. It's hard -.-
---            

If you have an issue, I can help! PM me or email me here--> thekicking@gmail.com
(02-19-2014, 05:26 AM)theKicking Wrote: Lawl, BG, you have a support group now.

I feel the same way, but about mpreg fiction. Sometimes I just want to go around and edit everything... But I resist. It's hard -.-

Oh gosh, its almost worse with fanfiction!
I beta-read for many years, and proofread even for a local paper.
;3; Do some people just not know how to write intelligent sentances or words over two syllables long (if that)?

Glad to see I'm not alone in the "Grammatically Sensitive" group xD
 No longer RP Active 
Going straight down to hell when I die. 

(02-19-2014, 07:37 AM)Redbane Wrote:
(02-19-2014, 05:26 AM)theKicking Wrote: Lawl, BG, you have a support group now.

Oh gosh, its almost worse with fanfiction!
I beta-read for many years, and proofread even for a local paper.
;3; Do some people just not know how to write intelligent sentances or words over two syllables long (if that)?

Glad to see I'm not alone in the "Grammatically Sensitive" group xD
It's even worse when it's adults. Twice my age, can't use the proper 'here vs hear', nor compile a coherent sentence. I don't know about everyone else, but the English classes in my high school pounded into our heads the basic rules of basic English comprehension, crap we learned in elementary school, but I shouldn't be too surprised, since half the class couldn't pass the they're/there/their test.
On the internet, I'm pretty lax with how I type, using chat speak with friends, abbreviations, etc., but I see role playing as a writing exercise, as well as writing fics. If you're too lazy to use spell-check, or to realize that "I can here you over their" is the wrong usage, you can guarantee I won't RP with you. Sorry to be a snob.
People who have English as their second, third, fourth language, I can excuse, you're still learning, even though I know someone from Russia and someone from Sweden with better English comprehension than most of my American RP partners.

Haaaa. I used to help run a multi-para based RP site; now I've been doing most of my sfw RP on IRC and my... less SFW RP on f-list, IRC, or IMs, and I've fallen -really- out of the habit of longer posts, personally. And sometimes I like a "Plot? What plot?" :)

But dear gods, I feel your pain on the grammar issue. I have a -lot- of friends who don't speak English as their first or even second language, and they're all more or less fine barring the occasional mistake. (And I can forgive them for those!) So many people... don't even try, though. It is bewildering and confusing and completely, double-underlined unsexy to me. :(
who eeven cares about speling
(02-19-2014, 02:18 PM)bchan Wrote: who eeven cares about speling

Teachers, employers, anyone who wants to succeed in life...

I do. My brain gets tired trying to decipher what you are trying to say.

And besides, it only makes the poster look stupid. I have a cousin who can't be bothered with proper grammer in texts and on Facebook, and if I didn't know him well, I would have plenty of reason to call him one of the dumbest people I know.
---            

If you have an issue, I can help! PM me or email me here--> thekicking@gmail.com

A+ trolling, friend.
i know, in my head it always sounds like the other person's slipping into a drunken slur.
i'm not great, but i try. altough i sometimes leave out whole words, i need to proof read everything i type twice because my brain just doesn't pick up on it. also i don't capitalize in informal conversations because i'm a rebel.
(02-19-2014, 06:29 PM)bchan Wrote: i know, in my head it always sounds like the other person's slipping into a drunken slur.
i'm not great, but i try. altough i sometimes leave out whole words, i need to proof read everything i type twice because my brain just doesn't pick up on it. also i don't capitalize in informal conversations because i'm a rebel.

Pffff, I capitalize on pure habit, informal conversations, you're allowed to be lax. On Skype with friends, I'm nowhere near this proper with my typing. Just something about forums that makes my hands hit the shift key.
You're not great, but you're a lot better than some I've seen.
(02-19-2014, 06:29 PM)bchan Wrote: i altough i sometimes leave out whole words, i need to proof read everything i type twice because my brain just doesn't pick up on it.

I have this problem, too. I've kind of sluiced out that this is because my brain knows what it's supposed to say -- So if I leave words out in the text, my brain just automatically fills them in when I'm proofing. Usually, I discover the missing words or odd syntax MUCH later on when I'm rereading something.
(02-19-2014, 11:22 PM)Buggy Girl Wrote: I have this problem, too. I've kind of sluiced out that this is because my brain knows what it's supposed to say -- So if I leave words out in the text, my brain just automatically fills them in when I'm proofing. Usually, I discover the missing words or odd syntax MUCH later on when I'm rereading something.

This happens to me frequently. Generally if something is more than a page in length I wait a few hours after typing it to reread or proofread so that it's no longer fresh on my mind and my brain won't fill in any word gaps.

Also, I generally give people with extremely poor grammar/spelling the benefit of the doubt and hope that English is their second language, they had a very poor education growing up, or I invent some other problem that could be causing it (i.e. They have no arms and are using a mediocre voice to text software).

'They have no arms' made me choke on my coffee.
You know what else really drives me nuts...............?

People who...................overuse................ellipses........................

I use them a lot in my writing, but mostly in dialogue. I like them in dialogue, because I try to write my speech as sounding natural, and long, awkward pauses are a thing that happens in life, especially when you're talking about an awkward subject. I will occasionally use them in my descriptions as well, usually for dramatic effect.

But when they are more noticeable than any of the WORDS people type...Yeesh.

And you know, how do people spell so badly in this day and age when both word processor software AND internet browsers have spell check? This message has been correcting itself as I type (except for 'yeesh' which isn't a word and it didn't know what to change it to). My Microsoft Word Starter program spell checks as I go along. Even my Kindle corrects things, courtesy of Autospell. Nine times out of ten, Autospell even correctly predicts what I'm going to say after I type just one letter (which is sometimes annoying, when I'm typing about robots -- I must've spelled a Transformer named Skids' name in caps lock a few too many times, because nowadays, when I type "S-k-" it automatically pulls up "SKIDS", which drives me nuts, but I digress.).

So in summary ---- HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL MAKING SO MANY SPELLING ERRORS WHEN IT'S PRETTY MUCH IDIOT-PROOF THESE DAYS????

(I also can't stand caps lock "yelling" in dialogue. Or, well, life.)
Chrome for sure has spell check built into it, even phones have auto correct.
I dunno, man. I blame education. Some people didn't have it. some people had bad education, I feel bad being snobbish about it when that situation exists, but sometimes, I can't help myself. Like I said, with adults twice my age, who brag about their high paying jobs in medical or whatever, and can't spell simple words.
One of my friends writes and spells well, but her school taught her stupidly, and she uses 'too' in place of 'to' because of it.
I was fortunate enough to go to a private school from kindergarten through eighth grade, so I was used to smaller, competitive classes, with a lot of difficult work. We learned proper spelling and grammar when we were young. I had mastered writing in cursive by the time I was nine and learned how to diagram sentences when I was twelve. Everything had to be written in cursive and spelled properly, or you risked having a paper covered in red correction marks hung in the hall with all of the other students' correct work.

It was tough, for sure, but looking back, I'm grateful my parents sent me there. Because imagine my surprise when I got to public high school and my honors English/literature class was having spelling tests and practicing writing in cursive. Or when the people in my advanced placement English/lit class didn't know what a semicolon was for -- And for those who might not know, advanced placement classes were the ones that earned you college credit, when you were sixteen or seventeen.

I do write unconventionally sometimes. I have had people criticize my grammar, especially that in my dialogue. But I am always sure to point out that I understand the grammar rules, but am intentionally breaking them, because that's how people talk.
Ugh. I feel your pain. I went to public school all my life, but elementary was actually good back in the 90's? I learned cursive by the time I was 9, and I've been writing in cursive since. I started writing actual stories during worktime back in 2nd-3rd grade because my teacher motivated me to, I was reading with the 2nd graders when I was in kindergarten, and placed in advanced spelling/Englihs classes by the time I was in 5th, reading post high school before I even reached 6th.
And then, high school. I'll never forget how often my English classes complained about having to read.
Or the time my second English class screamed out "what's a noun?" while doing ad-libs for a warm up.