"Paternity Leave" out now
I think birthing transmen (understandably so) generally dislike the idea of male birth being represented as unnatural or as a joke. For a birthing transman, pregnancy is just part of their experience. It's not silly to them. I think that's why it might bother some of the trans community; because the idea of a pregnant man as a joke prevents normalization for transmen who carry children. Just my two cents.
(08-30-2015, 10:32 PM)jsrpns Wrote: I think birthing transmen (understandably so) generally dislike the idea of male birth being represented as unnatural or as a joke. For a birthing transman, pregnancy is just part of their experience. It's not silly to them. I think that's why it might bother some of the trans community; because the idea of a pregnant man as a joke prevents normalization for transmen who carry children. Just my two cents.

Agreed, it's just too bad they are taking it that way.  Look at Junior..... And several other movies.... They was out long before trans pregnancy was a thought of thing.  I just wish it wasn't taken so personally.
(08-30-2015, 03:41 PM)mprego2 Wrote: Where did you hear about that?
On a private blog
Honestly, I think the individual(s) who brought that up are looking for an unnecessary, nonexistent fight. This movie has NOTHING to do with transgendered individuals, it is about a pregnant, gay CISMAN and his partner, so if anything this film is making fun of gay cismen, NOT transmen. People who complain about stuff like this hurt movements they support more than help it. I have noticed this even in other communities, the lesbian, gay, and bi community, all ethnic communities, sex/gender communities, etc., the transgender community is no different. Instead of trying to pick unnecessary and pointless fights, people need to go after the real issues affecting their respective communities. This is precisely why I take a backseat when it comes to being involved with social community movements, because a lot of the time people overreact to stuff that is not a problem at all, and this in turn hinders their own cause from moving forward.

Also, I bet NONE of those complainers have even seen this movie, they just judge it because they read that it is a comedy about a pregnant man, and it was written by two gay cismen. I mean come on, there are transgendered men on this forum that are excited to see this movie, and they're not complaining!
We're all members of one human family! ^_^
One great big, loving, dysfunctional family. -_-;

MRCA
Human Family Tree
I haven't seen the blog in question, but the "pregnant man" trope in comedies has often been based on the idea that it is inherently ridiculous that a man's body should carry a child. The humor is based in a really essentialist, transphobic understanding of gender. They're "taking it personally" because this trope gets used to dehumanize them. I've seen folks here complain about this humor too - that it can only be seen as a joke. So, I get where these bloggers are coming from and why they're concerned. I hope that the film itself, which most of us have not seen yet, doesn't traffic in that kind of humor. From the trailer and what the production staff has shared, I'm actually pretty hopeful for it. But at the same time, I'm not going to tone police members of a community who are anxious about the use of a trope that has been used to make them objects of humor.
I get that, but you know the real people that need to get a lecturing to from these complainers, is people who believe that a pregnant transman is OK, but a pregnant cisman is not. Why? Because it shows that people, despite claiming to be open minded and progressive and accepting trans individuals as the gender they know they are, will never think of them as "men". If you go on Twitter and search "male pregnancy" and "pregnant man" you will see EXACTLY what I mean. Literally in the same tweet people say stuff along the lines of "I'm OK with a pregnant transman, but a pregnant cisman is just gross!", this is a bigger issue to the trans community than crying about a comedy film about a pregnant, gay cisman, for the simple fact that these so-called "progressive-minded" people that say being trans is OK will never actually see these people as true men and women. In fact I will screen capture some of these, when I have time, to show people all the hidden transphobic comments made by so-called supporters of the trans community.

And you're right, many members, including myself do get upset at male pregnancy being seen as a comedy, because it directly is concerning CISMEN, male pregnancy is a cisgender concept, not a transgender one, seeing pregnant men as silly, absurd, gross, stupid, funny, etc., is both a cisgender and transgender issue. People need to educate themselves before they start protesting stuff, that's all I'm saying, it's not good to acting like you're a student from UC Berkeley, lol. Hopefully people will see why "male pregnancy" and "pregnant male" is NOT the same as "pregnant man", there's one key difference that is a cisgender one.
We're all members of one human family! ^_^
One great big, loving, dysfunctional family. -_-;

MRCA
Human Family Tree
I hate that I didnt come up with this earlier... but I thought this would be a fun way to track the release.

http://pregnancy-meter.com/status?user=q...O6fU5q&n=2

Let me know if that link doesnt work.
That's fun! We all know the 'due date' so why not! And it gets us even more excited for the movie!
(10-22-2015, 04:44 AM)BUDDY Wrote: I hate that I didnt come up with this earlier... but I thought this would be a fun way to track the release.

http://pregnancy-meter.com/status?user=q...O6fU5q&n=2

Let me know if that link doesnt work.

This is so cute! Awesome idea!  
Less than two weeks!!! I am so beyond excited for this.
There are a few short clips on the movie's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/paternityleave/...8431190083
TO ALL CONTRIBUTORS:

You might want to check your email ;)
It was alright, was expecting more exposed belly shots, and a more 'graphic' birth, but it was good
Super excited before the dvd realese
I can't wait to rent it! Too excited!
“You’re not a failure. We all make mistakes in life. Embrace change.” - Gordon Ramsay.
How much is it going to cost to rent/buy it? And how can get it?
It was worth the wait. It was absolutely adorable! *wiping away tears*
After a year and a half, it is finally here. Happy Paternity Leave release day!
I'VE GOT IT, I'VE GOT IT WOOOHOOOO. On my tablet all ready to watch woop woop!
I Can not Wait ><