Birthday
There is a new play out in the UK called "Birthday" written by Joe Penhall and starring Stephen Mangan.

Trailer:

Reviews say it is humorous, dark, and realistic!

[Image: 39manga.jpg]

http://elliottfranks.photoshelter.com/ga...vdk8KzT6ks

http://geraint-lewis.photoshelter.com/ga...f_M800.kXs

More photos can be found by using Google!
We're all members of one human family! ^_^
One great big, loving, dysfunctional family. -_-;

MRCA
Human Family Tree
This play looks pretty interesting, too bad I live in the US. :(

I love how they did the belly and breasts on him. It seems really realistic to me.
Nooo! Boobs! Why!
But great find. An mpreg play!! GOD I wish I could go see this :(
How beautiful and realistic thanks for the found, its a shame we can't see it :(
I was going to post something about this play, but I didn't know what to write lol
It looks so good, I love realistic mpreg, it's the best! :)
I hope someone caputres this on camera or something with the directors permission of course ;)
(07-05-2012, 09:29 PM)Lyric Wrote: Nooo! Boobs! Why!
But great find. An mpreg play!! GOD I wish I could go see this :(

I agree! Definitely distracting to those of us who don't care for bresticles in mpreg. The makeup itself though is really great.
As life gets longer, awful feels softer.
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes shit to make bliss,
then I feel pretty blissfully.
~~ Modest Mouse
I went to see the play today in London's Royal Court Theatre
Well, don't leave us in the dark, how was it?
If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are? -Bill Watterson
I love that picture.

I usually prefer less hairy men, but I love a pregnant man with a hairy tummy because it's REAL.

The play looks so interesting and cool.

Of course, I usually have a problem with the way labor is portrayed, as if it's just some pain that comes and goes, and not a powerful experience that envelopes your whole body and mind like it really does... but, awesome anyway :)

As bad as I am, I am proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem
Well, even though I have no idea what labor feels like, I think I know what Goddess is getting at. You can read the reviews and have some idea of how the actor plays his labor.

Any piece of entertainment about male birth is likely to be a comedy, and of course, real labor just isn't all that funny. Powerful and amazing, perhaps, but not funny.

I'd love to see a more realistic dramatization of man going through labor. At this point, I'd say the top award still goes to the actor in "Brian's Pregnant," a video on YouTube.
The play starts with discuss of the wife's previous pregnancy and why the husband had to have the second baby. There is no explanation as to how the husband gets pregnant. The man does not go into labour as such but he is induced and have to experience abdominal discomfort/pain as the baby is to move in the right place for the C section. To all the comments about the the actor having breast, you only see them once and it mainly the tummy you see. The couple discussion and drama is often interrupted by a hilarious African midwife.

However, the focus of the play was not the male actor being pregnant. There was discussion about the reality of parenthood but it was mainly a commentary on the writer's experience though the NHS. I think he used male pregnancy to present his view in an alternative way. For someone who works in the NHS, currently in Paediatric (therefore I attend many deliveries) I thought the writer presented a very bias view and has culminated a lot of exaggerated problems in NHS. But then again one could argue that I am bias as i work in the NHS and cannot always understand the patient's view.

In summary the play was funny, sad and moving at times and very melodramatic. It definitely amused my mpreg obsession (especially as I prefer het mpreg) and I would advised other to watch it if they can.
Awww now I really really want to go see it now
Damnit why can't they record it for the American fans :(
Can they bring the play to America?
The entire playtext (stageplay) is available on various sites, here is a list of where you can buy it, if interested.

http://www.doollee.com/PlaywrightsP/penhall-joe.html
We're all members of one human family! ^_^
One great big, loving, dysfunctional family. -_-;

MRCA
Human Family Tree
https://vimeo.com/153310288

Birthday (2015) on Vimeo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theatre play of “Birthday” by joe penhall LH1234 1 1,003 09-24-2023, 11:58 PM
Last Post: LH1234