Superhero Time!
So i'm curious if any of you are into japanese superhero shoes such as kamen rider or super sentai? (and for those that dont know, super sentai is what power rangers is based off of)
Come waddle with me!
Ultraman was always a favorite of mine, and I love sentai. Though animated, Ronin Warriors was my first experience in the genre.
(07-26-2012, 06:24 AM)darkfanboy Wrote: Though animated, Ronin Warriors was my first experience in the genre.

I don't know if you've watched it in Japanese since Ronin Warrios aired on TV many moons ago, but the original Yoroiden Samurai Troopers is waaaaaay better than the dub.

That is seriously one of my favorite animes *_*
Sometimes, the world is cruel to shiny things...
(07-26-2012, 06:24 AM)darkfanboy Wrote: Ultraman was always a favorite of mine, and I love sentai. Though animated, Ronin Warriors was my first experience in the genre.

i've recently started to like both Ultraman and Metal Heroes, but Kamen Rider will always be my favorite. As for the anime you listed, I can't say i've heard of it.
Come waddle with me!
When it was on the CW for Kids here in the US, I watched Kamed Rider a little bit but I never got a chance to watch the entire thing from the beginning of the series to the end. I have watched the American version of Super Sentai (the Power Rangers) ever since a little bit of the Wild Force season but really started getting into it during the Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder seasons. I really haven't watched any seasons earlier then those.

At my college that I go to, there is a club (which just so happens to be THE biggest club on campus) that I am a part of that is called Edinboro Gamers' Guild. A majority of the members (actually everyone) are anime fanatics so I have been exposed to a lot of shows that I have not watched at all. Due to that, I have also just started watching Mobile Suit Gundam mainly on Youtube. (Praise whoever created Youtube!)

Other than that, there's not many other Japanese superhero shows that I have watched or are currently watching.
The kamen rider you watch is the american version, which cannot hold a candle to the japanese version. The same goes for power rangers, which really doesn't compare in awesomeness to super sentai
Come waddle with me!
(07-26-2012, 09:17 PM)WannaHaveABaby Wrote: The kamen rider you watch is the american version, which cannot hold a candle to the japanese version. The same goes for power rangers, which really doesn't compare in awesomeness to super sentai

True, true
(07-26-2012, 02:00 PM)WannaHaveABaby Wrote: As for the anime you listed, I can't say i've heard of it.

Ronin Warriors/Yoroiden Samurai Troopers is a very campy anime from the late 80s that features five teenage boys in nifty samurai armor who fight evil spirits and warlords from the Youjakai (aka the place where demons hang out).

What makes it really neat is that -in the original Japanese version at least- there are a lot of nods to samurai culture and each of the characters is tied to and draws their strength from a Bushido virtue. It also relies pretty heavily on the influences of elements (air, wind, water, fire, earth) and the seasons.

As a historian who loooooooves the Middle Ages, I find the historical implications of it quite awesome -- Especially since the centuries-old Warlords who are part of the main group of antagonists take their family names from actual clans prevelant in the middle ages and several of the main protagonists have famous ancestors as well.
Sometimes, the world is cruel to shiny things...
there was a super sentai series that was also samurai based called Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, each ranger controlled an element, the red senshi(warrior) was referred to as lord and their mecha were based on animal origami
Come waddle with me!
God I've been watching lots of Kamen rider on Youtube. They have full length fansubs up.
Darkfanboy where can u find the full episode subs? I usually have to find a link on JEFusion just so I can keep up with Kamen Rider Fourze episodes
Come waddle with me!
These were the movies. I'll try to grab the links tomorrow at work.
is Doraemon is consider as superhero? He can save the world with take anything out from his pocket.
Is he the big round animal looking thing?
Come waddle with me!
So has anyone here been keeping up with the current Superhero Time! shows? Because it changes every year, and the recent years have been good and bad with Sentai and Rider.
(07-26-2012, 09:17 PM)WannaHaveABaby Wrote: The kamen rider you watch is the american version, which cannot hold a candle to the japanese version. The same goes for power rangers, which really doesn't compare in awesomeness to super sentai

It seems you're a bit of a fanboy of the Toei originals, and I care to disagree. There are some adaptations that are just as good, if not better than some of the original series. Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is very much loved everywhere by toku fans, including the Japanese, and there are a good amount of Power Ranger shows that can hold a candle to their original, such as Time Force, In Space, Dino Thunder, SPD, Jungle Fury, and RPM.
Plus there were some series that weren't all that great from the original, like Goaranger, so Wild Force, while not being great all around, can hold a candle because its original series had the fruit hanging a bit low.
I'm sure Gaim17 is a fan of this stuff, which suprises me he hasn't commented on this thread at all. Maybe he's never seen it.

Also Kamen Rider is the best shit ever!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's that time of year again... Bluegirl285 9 7,586 05-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Belly Button
Shocked Got my husband pregnant, any advice for a first time daddy? SilentBreeder 2 3,790 09-17-2017, 05:57 AM
Last Post: user.incognito1234
  Time zones xHappyBumpx 0 6,100 01-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Last Post: xHappyBumpx