C A Star is Born (closed with SazzyP260)

Zach frowned and waved Jen back over. They were going to have to call this a night. This was just not going not work and Zach knew his husband well enough that he was going to get sick again soon if they stayed here.

Jen came back over and took one look at Caleb, understanding exactly what was going on without Zach having to say anything. They ushered Caleb back out and into the car, Zach wrapping him in his arms.

"Here's some water," Jen said, handing Caleb a bottle.

Caleb took the water and shakily twisted the cap off of it, some of the water sloshing out and onto his and Zach's clothes. Caleb hissed loudly as the cold water splashed against his chest, "Too cold..." Caleb said, reaching out to try and hand Jen the bottle back - his vision doubled had his hand skewing off to the left instead, the shaking got so bad that he ended up dropping the bottle and most of the cold water splashed right into Zach's lap.

He let out a broken sob as he felt splashed of cold against his own leg, doubling over on himself as he rocked back and forth "Zachhh." he whined, reaching for his husband with one hand as tears started streaming down his face - he had never experienced a migraine this bad before and he was getting *so close* to throwing up, but he was trying not too, simply because they were in a rented car and the cleaning bills for them were always so high!

[Image: 8Ww3nNU.png]
You can lead a horse to water, but cannot force a horse to drink.

Zach wrapped him in his arms, trying so very hard to hold him close. He mouthed the word 'hospital' to Jen because at this point he knew that Caleb needed a shot to get the migraine under control. The pills wouldn't do anything and he might throw them up anyway.

Jen leaned forward and very quietly let Jim know that they needed to go to the closest hospital. She also texted their security to meet them at the hospital that Jim indicated he was headed to.

"I got you, baby," Zach murmured, holding him and trying to keep him steady.

Caleb clung to Zach, pushing his forehead tighter and tighter against his husbands shoulder as he rocked slightly, hot tears still streaming down his face. He kept muttering 'make it stop, make it stop' against Zach; his fingers were again digging painfully into the muscle of Zach's thigh and Caleb's cheeks kept puffing slightly every time he seemed to take any breath - whether it was in or out.

Jen grabbed the bucket that normally held chilled champagne and placed it right in Zach's lap "It's going to be okay, Caleb... Just keep breathing..." Jen said softly. She looked up at Zach with worry in her eyes, she lowered her voice so only Zach could hear "Have his migraines *ever* been this bad? Even when he was pregnant with Noah?"

Zach shook his head, trying not to move Caleb that much. They hit a bump in the car and that was it though, Caleb was throwing up in the bucket, sobbing hysterically now.

"Oh baby," Zach murmured softly. "It's okay. It's okay. We got you. You'll be okay."

The ride was seeming to take forever and Zach just wanted to get him to the hospital. He was more than prepared to throw his name around and get Caleb taken care of as soon as possible.

The vomiting seemed never ending, spewing out of him and filling the bucket more and more as the seconds ticked by. Everyone of them more agonizing than the last as his stomach continued spiraling out of control. Not to mention the fact that he could hardly breathe as he started sobbing in pain, his fingers digging violently into Zach's thigh and the other wrapped around his stomach as it shook and quivered with each violent motion of his own body revolting.

Jim squealed to a stop outside of the Emergency Bay doors - he had kept the privacy window down to keep a close eye on the three in the backseat; he had medical training from his military background and would have stepped in if necessary but there wasn't much he could do for Caleb or Zach at this point "Mr. Martin, we are at the hospital, sir!"

"Go, go," Zach said to Jen. "Use my name. Do whatever you have to do to get us in immediately." She hurried out of the car and ran into the ER.

He pulled Caleb out of the car, dumping out the bucket on the ground so Caleb could keep using it to throw up. He lifted him into his arms, carrying him inside. He trusted Jim to take care of parking the car and waiting for them.

"Over here," Jen called as soon as he was inside with Caleb. A nurse was standing with her, ready to take them to the back and Zach was so relieved.

The nurse led them to the back of the emergency department where there were hardly any patients located. She quickly turned off the lights in the overly bright room and pointed to the hospital bed "Lay him down there. A doctor will be in with you as quickly as possible." she said, but instead of leaving the room entirely, she moved over to where Caleb would be laid and helped Zach get him as comfortable as they could.

Caleb was still sobbing uncontrollably, but the vomiting seemed to be lessening, if only by a little. His fingers were white as sheets as he clutched at Zach's arm, not wanting to let his husband go for a single second "H-...h-...hosp... why...?" he could hardly get the sentence out between the sobbing, the vomiting and the lack of oxygen he seemed to be getting.

"You're going to need a shot," said Zach gently, his voice low. "There's no way a pill would work at this point."

The nurse tried to pry one of Caleb's arms off of Zach as gently as possible. "I need an arm, sweetheart. You can hold on with the other one. I promise he won't let you go."

"Just let her have one, Caleb," Zach whispered. "I've got you. She's got to get you ready for the medicine."

Caleb had a hard time moving his arm to even get it straight out for the nurse; his arm was trembling and tightening up. He cried out in pain as he practically forced his arm to straighten properly, he clenched his eyes shut and squeezed whatever part of Zach his free arm could find. His sobs were lessening and turning into hiccups but his face was still a sick blue-white color and even though he didn't eat much, he looked like he could keep throwing up, as it was he was already dry heaving and gagging each time from the air intake.

It didn't seem to take long for a doctor to come in either, wearing green scrubs and a white over coat. He looked between the nurse and Caleb, then Zach and Jen who were standing bedside. "Good evening. I am Doctor Green..." he walked over to where the nurse was and got a better look at Caleb "What are we looking at, Stacy?"

"Severe migraine with vomiting, light and sound sensitivity, double vision, and spasms," said Stacy as she tried to start an IV in Caleb's arm.

"He was dizzy earlier and had vomited for other reasons, but didn't say anything about a headache. The migraine seemed to come on suddenly and once the vomiting started I thought it would be better to come here," said Zach, trying to calm Caleb as he talked. "I didn't think taking him home and trying to give him a pill would work."

The doctor looked into the champagne bucket and sucked his teeth slightly "This is all from tonight?" he asked, looking up to get head nods from Zach, Jen, and even the nurse.

Jen quickly stepped in "There was another bucket before that - well, it's the same bucket, but Zach dumped it because it got full like *really* quick once Caleb started vomiting and just wouldn't stop!" she said in a slightly hysterical tone, clinging to Zach, fear and worry evident in her mind.

The doctor nodded again and turned to Zach "Do you know the name of the pill he is currently taking for migraines? I'd like to get him started on a shot of that to see if it helps - If not we'll have to use something stronger... I'll also need a full medical history but we'll deal with that when we get him *some* relief."

Zach told him the name of the pill and then, hesitantly. "There might be a chance he's pregnant. He's showing the symptoms, but he's had a tubal ligation."

The doctor nodded at that. "The medication he's on is safe if he is pregnant. We'll run a blood test to be sure once we get the IV in. We'll draw blood from that before we start running fluids through it."

Zach let out a sigh of relief that the doctor didn't blink an eye about the pregnancy. He still remembered the doctor who basically refused to treat Caleb when he had come into the hospital bleeding and in premature labor with Noah.

The nurse worked quickly and efficiently to get an IV line started in Noah's arm, having to go lower than they normally would have preferred because each time she pressed the needle against Caleb's elbow, his entire arm would flinch. She drew the blood and sealed them up in bags and then stood up when the doctor returned with a syringe full of a green colored liquid as well as a clear liquid "One is the medicine - Green just like the pill... Probably tastes just as gross, too." he shook the clear syringe "Just a saline push to flush the IV afterwards."

The doctor connected the syringe of drugs to the IV and slowly injected the green liquid into Caleb's blood stream "He should start feeling relief within ten to fifteen minutes, but if it takes thirty - don't worry... This is a pretty bad migraine and it might take a little longer to come back down. For now, just let him rest and we'll run those blood tests to see if your correct about him being pregnant..." the doctor took the blood from the nurse and headed out of the ER room.

Zach got Caleb to settle back down on the bed as Jen took Caleb's shoes off of him. He rubbed Caleb's temples gently, trying to get him to calm down as the nurse slid an oxygen mask over his face. It was almost like a timer hit and at ten minutes, Caleb's body relaxed and his eyes closed. His grip on Zach loosened up.

"Oh thank god," Zach said, sitting down in the chair next to the bed. He took Caleb's hand in his, pressing a kiss to it. "Just sleep, baby."

Caleb murmured something completely incoherent behind the oxygen mask, his arm only flinching slightly when Zach took his hand. He was out like a light in a matter of seconds, since the injection was a much stronger dose than the pills that Caleb was used too - the pills normally made him drowsy, but this knocked him out quick.

The doctor seemed to come back in just as Caleb started snoring slightly "He always do that?" The doctor asked, pointing at Caleb with a few sheets of paper - Jen and Zach both nodded their heads in exasperation "Hm... Okay then. I had the lab put a rush on his bloodwork anyway..." the Doc said as he pulled up a stool and sat down, resting a foot on the end of Caleb's hospital bed.

He flipped through the loose sheets of paper and then hummed when he found what he was looking for "Your husband is indeed pregnant, Mr. Martin. He is not very far along - best estimate would be two months along, given his symptoms right now. I pulled your husband's medical records and I've already put a call in to Dr. Evans - Luckily she's in the hospital currently delivering a set of twins. She'll be down here as soon as she can though to speak with you about the steps you would like to take and see what's really going on inside... Since the tubal litigation seems to have failed."

Zach dropped his head forward and let out a groan. This was not good news. He didn't want to have to make a decision like this. It was going to kill them if they had to choose to end the pregnancy for Caleb's health.

Jen rubbed the back of his neck, giving the doctor a sympathetic look. "Sorry, but it's not the best news right now. He had a tubal for his health. His first pregnancy left him very ill. Preterm labor, complications, heart issues."

The doctor nodded in understanding - he knew all of this, of course, having read Caleb's medical file "I understand, and this is why I decided to contact Dr. Evans - she can take the steps necessary for Caleb, and she has a better knowledge of his medical history than I do, even if I read over everything." The doctor stood up and walked over to the other side of Caleb's bed "I do however want to get him set up on a heart monitor, just in case we need to be worried about his heart right now - It's the best course of action until we all have a decision made about what we're going to do."

Caleb moaned softly and shook his head, eyelids fluttering open for barely a few seconds before they shut again. A very shaky hand moved up to the mask, pushing it down a little "Don't... don't... rid of it... keep it..." Caleb whispered weakly, opening his eyes again just long enough to make eye-contact with Zach, tears coming to his eyes and slipping down. It didn't last long, because soon enough, Caleb was out again, fingers loosely wrapped around the oxygen mask.

Zach wiped away the tears from Caleb's face. He would do what Caleb wanted but he also wasn't going to risk his husband's life for another baby. Not when they were planning on fostering and adopting. Caleb had been so adamant that Zach not have another one even though he had an easy pregnancy and birth.

"Yes, please set up the heart monitor," said Zach. "Monitor everything you need to monitor. I want him safe."

Jen checked her phone briefly. "Security is here. I'll get them posted outside."

The doctor nodded and lightly adjusted the mask so it was covering Caleb's nose and mouth again properly "For now I'm just going to get heart monitor leads on him. Once Dr. Evan's comes down and assesses the situation in full, we'll let her make the call on what is best for your husband." The doctor said and reached over, squeezing Zach's shoulder "He is in good hands here, Mr. Martin - we won't turn him away."

After that, Dr. Evans walked in with a scowl on her face as she glared at Zach "This is your fault, isn't it Zachary?" she said, pointing an accusing finger in Zach's direction; although she may have sounded mad, the twinkle in her eyes and the smile that was tugging at her lips was giving her away "I have to look at an ultrasound and see what the heck is going on, and why the tubal litigation failed... Unless your swimmers are just that strong that they broke the barrier..."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by DragonKnight
11-15-2019, 01:27 AM