C A Star is Born (closed with SazzyP260)

Zach took a look at Caleb's ankle, moving it gently. "I'll wrap it for you. And you're not a burden, Caleb. We knew that this wasn't going to be easy for you. We should have stayed home."

Zach rubbed his forehead. "I don't know if I should leave you alone like this. What if something happens when I'm gone for 12 hours and I can't get back here to help?"

Caleb groaned and shook his head, pulling his ankle away from Zach's probing fingers "Ice first, heat second, baby-approved Tylenol is in the cabinet above the fridge, and then wrap it, Zach." Caleb said quietly, pulling his favorite blanket around his body and cocooning himself inside of it.

"And you shouldn't worry about me - you need to get back to filming... These people need you. We can look into hiring a nurse or something... Just someone willing to sit with me for twelve hours while you're at work... Female or a smaller male, cause you know how I get around men who are bigger than you..." Caleb said quietly, tucking a strand of tangled hair behind his ear

[Image: 8Ww3nNU.png]
You can lead a horse to water, but cannot force a horse to drink.

"And someone who is willing to help with the kids," Zach said firmly. "We should have done this before now. I'll call Jen and have her get some people over here right away for interviews."

Savannah came toddling over, carrying her stuffed kitty. It wasn't her favorite but it was probably her second favorite. She held it up to Caleb. "Daddy. Kit kit."

Caleb grasped onto Savannah's upper arm and easily lifted her up onto the couch with him and Zach - considering she was much smaller than her projected weight class for a one-year-old, Caleb really had no problems at all lifting Savannah up, but only when he was in a seated position; still Zach worried that somehow Caleb would fall off the couch.

Caleb settled Savannah next to his stomach and took the kitty, rubbing it against Savannah's face and making soft meowing noises "You're right about that... Even before I got pregnant again, we really should have had someone helping us out - Make sure Jen finds someone who has dual citizenship and would not be opposed to moving with us when we leave. If we find a suitable person to help us, I really don't want to let them go."

Zach got to his feet and went to get the ice and Tylenol for Caleb. He leaned against the counter in the kitchen wondering just what the hell he was doing moving his family across the country like this - to another country even - when Caleb was pregnant. He was so fucking selfish sometimes.

He went back into the living room, putting the ice on Caleb's ankle. "Here's the Tylenol. I brought you apple juice. I figured you can share with Miss Savannah."

"No sippy cup?" Caleb teased, smiling up at his husband. Caleb popped the pills into his mouth and swallowed down a small portion of the apple juice and then helped Savannah take a few careful sips.

"So... Earlier argument aside... Are you feeling alright? You... Look a little lost or something." Caleb questioned, helping Savannah climb off of the couch as she pointed toward the carpet. Caleb sat up slowly, keeping the ice against his ankle as he leaned over to place the cup on the coffee table. He placed one leg down - the uninjured one - onto the floor and then patted the space between his legs for Zach to come closer, arms opened so he could take his husband into them.

Zach sat on the couch and let Caleb cradle him, his head resting against Caleb's shoulder. He sighed heavily, watching Savannah play. "I don't think we made the right choice coming here. I don't think this film is going to be worth the stress it is already placed on our family."

Caleb frowned and shushed his husband lightly, rubbing up and down his arm "We made the right decision coming here, Zach." Caleb said quietly against his husband's ear "I knew this would be difficult, a hard transition... but this is your career... Your *dream.*" Caleb murmured softly, kissing Zach's temple lightly.

"I would be a selfish husband if I did not let you fulfil your dreams, just as you've let me fulfil mine..." Caleb whispered "Who was the one who encouraged me to go back to nursing school? Finish my degree? Get my nursing license and a license to practice wherever we lived? You gave me the strength to go through all of that... and I've got to return that favor, by giving you the encouragement to film again."

"Yes, we had enough money to survive the rest of our lives without either of us working again... But that's not what makes you happy." Caleb laid his head on top of Zach's and sighed quietly "Movies are your life, Zach, and this is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things again... You have to build yourself back up to that fame, and I know you can do it."

"I could have waited until after we had the baby. I didn't have to take this movie, Caleb. We should be home right now." Zach huffed and hid his face against Caleb's neck. "I'm just one member of the family. I have to think about the rest of you as well. Why should my wants outweigh what the three - soon to be four - of you need?"

Caleb rubbed the back of Zach's head lightly, pressing kisses into his hair "Shhhh, you *did* think of us, Zach." Caleb whispered "You asked me, specifically, if you think we should go, if we should follow you... You *asked* what I thought about it, and I agreed to us going." Caleb lifted up Zach's head and pressed a tender kiss to his lips "We need you to be happy, our wants are for you to be happy, just as the rest of us." Caleb rubbed his thumb over Zach's cheek lightly "I knew this would be a pain in the ass, but I wouldn't want it any other way, Zachary... You need to stop putting all this weight on your shoulders and start listening to what I'm saying - This is what we want!"

"I am happy. I was happy in LA. We've been here two weeks and you already can't handle the steps in the house and sprained your ankle getting out of the car. I feel like I can't leave to go shoot the movie because I'm afraid you're going to get hurt or you won't be able to take care of the kids. And that's not your fault. I knew what you were like when you were pregnant with Noah so I should have known you wouldn't be able to do these things this time either," Zach tugged at his hair. "I have no idea if we'll be able to get anyone here soon enough to help you out either."

Caleb sighed loudly and bounced his forehead off of Zach's shoulder; now he was starting to get pissed off, and that was *never* a good thing. Caleb very slowly got up, hissing as he put pressure on his swollen ankle "You're right, Zach. I can't do *shit* when I'm pregnant... I'm a helpless invalid!" Caleb shouted, tears springing up but miraculously not falling from his eyes "Fuck the fact that you *love* doing this, that acting is your passion - Fuck the fact that I'm your husband and all I want to do is *make you happy*! I want you to be doing this, Zach! I want you filming, making movies, spending time with people who *aren't* your kids, parents, Jennifer, or me!"

Caleb slowly limped toward the staircase, he wanted to climb them but knew that he shouldn't, one foot resting on the landing and the other still on the carpet of the living room "We *all* have to make sacrifices for the ones we love - this time it was *my* turn to sacrifice everything I loved so you could do what you enjoy the most!" And that was the thing, the pregnancy was one thing that Zach loved; he loved seeing Caleb's belly swollen and round with their child, as well as the fact that Zach loved acting; those two things would never change.

Caleb very slowly navigated the narrow staircase, eyes focused on the steps he could hardly see over his sizable stomach. Halfway up and he was already winded and in pain, ankle throbbing mercilessly. He turned and sat down on the step above him, holding his head in his hands as he let out a single sob, pressing his face against his legs and wrapping his arms around his stomach.

They had never fought this much before, and it wasn't even play fighting, either. This was gloves off, hardcore fighting for them; and it was draining every ounce of energy that Caleb had. He loved Zach, loved that his husband enjoyed his job - he would have done this twenty times over if it meant seeing a smile on Zach's face after coming home from a shoot... Now it seemed like an impossible thing, nothing was going according to plan and everything was blowing up in their faces.

"Caleb!" Zach went after him, finding him on the steps crying. "Just stop hurting yourself. God! This just makes me feel worse. I know you're not a damn invalid."

Zach sat down on the steps. "I think we both need to calm down and stop saying things that are hurting each other. Do you want to be upstairs or downstairs right now? I'll take you where you want to go and then I need to go check on Savannah."

Savannah was at the foot of the steps, eyes filled with tears because her parents were shouting at each other. Leo was next to her, blocking her from climbing up.

Caleb looked at Zach, eyebrows furrowed slightly "You act like I *want* to hurt myself, Zach... How the hell am I supposed to just *stop* when it's my body that throws me around like a ragdoll." Caleb didn't shout, that time, his voice already raw and hoarse from the shouting he'd done just moments ago - another reason why they hardly fought, Caleb lost his voice too quickly whenever it was raised beyond a certain point.

"I'd rather be upstairs for now... I'm exhausted and I just want to be in our bed..." Caleb said quietly, although he had no idea how Zach was going to get him off of the stairs safely; they were too narrow and the light was only so bright in the stairwell... he wanted to say more to Zach, but he bit his lip and kept his mouth shut and eyes closed; they didn't need to be fighting anymore.

Zach knelt on the steps in front of Caleb. "Put your arms around my neck and hold on. Scoot to the edge of the step so I can grab onto you." Caleb listened and Zach got him into his arms, holding Caleb tightly as he slowly stood up. He was able to hold onto him with one arm when Caleb locked his legs around his waist and he got them up the steps safely. Zach put him on the bed gently. "I'm sorry for what I said. I'll come back up in a bit. If you need anything please call for me. Don't walk on that ankle."

Caleb nodded and sniffled, slowly turning onto his side on the bed. He pulled his body pillow tight against his chest and put it between his knees. All of the fighting really had left him drained; both emotionally and physically, he wasn't used to arguing with Zach about large scale issues; normally they argued about the little things - dinner, what to wear (Caleb arguing with Zach on that one), whose turn it was to wash dishes or give out bathes... Never had they actually had a fight about all the crazy things that went on in their day-to-day lives, previous or current.

Caleb turned on the TV in the bedroom and then closed his eyes, one hand resting on his rounded belly. Zach had left the moment Caleb turned his back to him, and the room felt lonely and cold; he'd never really laid in bed alone before. Even when he was just taking small naps, Zach would lay with him until he fell asleep; he had a lot to think about but he was certain the exhaustion would win out far before his thoughts started even taking place.

Zach helped Caleb into the auditorium seat before sitting next to him. They had left Savannah home with Brigit, the nurse slash nanny they had found who was happy to stay with Caleb during Zach's long days of shooting and keep an eye on him and help take care of the kids. Both Noah and Savannah really liked her and Caleb was comfortable around her which was all Zach could ask for.

Today though, Zach had asked to take off for some of the day so he could see the Halloween play the kindergartners were putting on. It was both Noah's class and the other class and it was called 'The Ugly Pumpkin.' Noah was so excited and Zach may have asked one of the costume designers on set to make Noah's costume for them since neither he nor Caleb were especially crafty. It came out great and Noah had barely managed to eat any breakfast that morning because he was so excited, Caleb texting him a picture of Brigit carrying Noah's costume into school and Noah dancing around her.

"Comfortable enough?" Zach whispered to Caleb, not wanting to get stuck talking to any of the other parents before the play. He wanted the attention to be on the kids, not him.

Caleb nodded slowly, shifting around in the small seat - at least it was cushioned. At nearly seven months pregnant, his growing progress had finally slowed, but he definitely looked to be almost nine months pregnant - whatever reason caused him to grow rapidly with Noah's pregnancy, also seemed to be happening with this one.

"I'll be fine. It's only a thirty minute play..." Caleb whispered, laying his head on Zach's shoulder so he had a good view of the stage - being as short as he was, he had problems seeing over most peoples bodies, and someone taller than himself was seated before him "I might fall asleep in here... It'll be dark and you know I'll fall asleep." Caleb said quietly, rubbing his actively squirming stomach - he had yet another active kid, boxing at every internal organ he had.

Caleb was excited to see Noah in this play though, he wouldn't have missed it for the world; no matter how much pain he was in currently, especially with the few broken ribs he'd received from growing so big so quickly and their baby pushing against him. "I can't wait to see our little man on stage... He's been excited for weeks about this play, practicing his lines... I still cannot believe he got the lead role - he must get his acting skills from you."

"I'll poke you if you fall asleep," Zach whispered softly. "I'm just excited that he wanted to be in the play and is having so much fun doing it. No matter what happens, we're going to congratulate all of the kids."

The lights came up on the stage and Zach took Caleb's hand, tangling their fingers together as the play began. They naturally paid close attention to Noah but all the kids were so cute as they forgot lines, turned the wrong way on stage, sang their songs as unharmoniously as possible. Teachers guided kids on and off stage and Zach had to hide some giggles in Caleb's hair at the storyline. If all kids plays were this cute, he wasn't sure if he was going to survive through all three kids and however many they adopted.

The true shining star on stage was Noah though. He didn't miss a line or do anything wrong; he spoke loudly and proudly, his voice - which was so much like Caleb's already - carried perfectly through the small auditorium and he just looked *so* happy being on stage; a bright smile on his face as he played the lead role of the Ugly Pumpkin. He was a very convincing actor.

Caleb reached up to wipe tears on his cheeks "Zach... I really do think our son got his acting skills from you. He's like a little movie star up there!" Caleb whispered - there was no way he was falling asleep, not with the way their son was acting on stage. "He's amazing..."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by DragonKnight
11-15-2019, 01:27 AM