C A Star is Born (closed with SazzyP260)

Zach stood under the warm water, just letting it beat down on him. He was so sore and tired but it felt so good to get all the sweat and blood and dirt off of him. He was going to crash as soon as he got in bed, but showering first was a good plan.

Alexandria helped him get dressed, a large pad placed in his underwear to help with the bleeding that was going to continue at a slow pace for awhile. She got him tucked into bed with Caleb and sat in the armchair, curled up and watching cartoons with Noah.

Zach managed a half awake kiss to Caleb's forehead before he passed out as well, exhausted from giving birth to Savannah.

[Eight Months Later:]

Caleb yawned tiredly as he came into the house, dropping his keys and bag on the foyer table as he walked past it.  Twelve-hour shifts were really starting to drag on his body and mind.  As he walked into the living room, his entire demeanor changed; a warm smile lit up his face and he looked as happy as could be - but, he still had bags under his eyes and his body seemed to be dragging slightly as he came further into the room.

Savannah was standing in her walker, and her green eyes lit up when she saw Caleb "Dadadada!" she chanted, slapping her little palms on the tray of her walker as she bounced her way over to where Caleb was.

Noah - now three and a half years old - ran over to where Caleb was as well, clinging to his daddy's leg "Daddy!" he wailed, tears riding down his cheeks and sniffling loudly.

Caleb bent down and lifted Savannah up into one arm and Noah up into his other, standing with both children "What's wrong, bud?  Why are we crying?" Caleb asked softly as he gently rocked his body from side to side in hopes of calming his son's pending tantrum down.

Noah sniffled loudly and pointed toward the kitchen "Papa mean!" was all he said before pushing his face against Caleb's neck and breaking down into tears.

[Image: 8Ww3nNU.png]
You can lead a horse to water, but cannot force a horse to drink.

Zach leaned out from the kitchen, wiping his hands on a towel. "I'm a terrible father. The absolute worst." He walked out and pressed a kiss to Caleb's cheek. "He just found out that he's getting a babysitter on Saturday and it's not Jen and it's not Gammy and G-pa. So I'm the absolute worst father ever."

Zach shrugged and took Savannah since Noah was really too heavy for Caleb to hold by himself much less while holding Savannah as well. "But that's okay. Savannah still loves me. Right, baby?"

Savannah clapped her hands on his face and screeched happily.

"Oh... Yeah, that just makes you the worst father in the universe." Caleb agreed teasingly as he leaned up and kissed Zach lightly on the lips "I didn't think your parents wanted to do anything for my birthday? They changed their minds?" Caleb asked quietly.

He walked over to the couch and settled Noah back down on the ground. Noah took off immediately, heading to wherever Leo was located - likely the backyard.

Once Noah was out of the room, Caleb yawned again loudly and curled up slightly, his heavy eyes drooping substantially - most of the time he just put on his happy façade for Noah, since he was much more perceptive than Savannah at their significant age differences. And of course, Zach knew everything about Caleb so there was just no point in hiding his exhaustion.

"They're going to come up for dinner so I thought we could all go out sans children for a nice dinner. Then Jen, you, and I can go out on the town for a bit. They'll come back here to relieve the sitter so Noah will get to see them when he wakes up in the morning," Zach said, sitting down next to him and letting Savannah crawl over to Caleb to cuddle him.

Savannah pulled herself onto Caleb's lap and stuck her fingers in his mouth, her way of saying hello.

Caleb nodded slowly and gently nibbled Savannah's fingers and then pulled them from his mouth, kissing the tips of her tiny fingers. He gently tugged her down against his chest and ran a hand through her brown hair "So, do you know where we are going for dinner... Or *after* dinner for that matter?"

"Yup," Zach said, popping the p. "And I'm not telling you because it's a surprise. Jen knows so she'll help you decide what to wear since I'm obviously no help there."

Noah and Leo came clumping back into the room, Leo wearing the lion mane from Noah's Halloween costume when he was 2. "Look, Vannah! A lion!"

Savannah clapped her hands in glee and tried to fling herself off Caleb's lap and the couch to get to them.

Caleb sighed tiredly and sat up to set Savannah on the ground and away from the coffee table. After he was free and clear of all children, Caleb scooted over to Zach and practically laid on top of his husband. He closed his eyes and curled up the best he could "I'm excited... You know this'll be my first 'real' birthday party - without the kids, I mean?"

Noah and Savannah contented themselves on the living room floor, squealing and playing with Leo the Lion-dog.

Caleb was already falling asleep, but he tried keeping himself awake - he wanted to talk with Zach, not fall asleep on his husband as he so often had been the past couple of weeks that he had been coming home from work.

"I hope you enjoy it," Zach said, arranging Caleb so he was comfortable on top of him. He had no problem if Caleb fell asleep on him. Dinner was ready and just needed to be warmed. The kids were very happily playing together. He knew how exhausted Caleb was lately. "I'm pretty excited to eat somewhere that doesn't have chicken fingers on the menu."

Caleb nodded tiredly and yawned widely, burrowing himself against the warmth of his husband's body "Chicken fingers... Burgers... french fries... milkshakes..." Caleb mumbled off the menu of the McDonald's kids meal since that was, unfortunately, the only place that Noah and Savannah 'enjoyed' eating at when they were going out to a restaurant - not that McDonald's could ever truly be classified as that in Zach and Caleb's eyes, since they *tried* maintaining a healthy eating lifestyle.

It didn't take long at all for Caleb to pass out against Zach, his mouth still mumbling incoherently and light snores escaping him once in awhile. He was so exhausted that it was a miracle he didn't fall asleep standing up.

---------
[Saturday:]

Caleb smiled happily as he opened the gifts from Noah and Savannah - Noah had drawn a picture at day care for him; they had returned him to part-time day care services so Zach had a little bit more one-on-one time with Savannah as she grew up and started learning how to walk and talk, it gave them much needed bonding time as well as giving Noah other children to play with and make friends with.

Savannah on the other hand had gotten Caleb a pair of highlighter pink socks. "I love both of my gifts, thank you so much." Caleb said as he leaned over and kissed Savannah and then Noah on their cheeks.

Exhaustion was temporarily a thing of the past for Caleb. He had gotten the day before off from work, and he had slept most of the day just to regain what energy he had lost from working. It was strange, honestly, to see Caleb sleeping so much and being as exhausted - there was only one other time that Caleb had done that, and that was when he was pregnant with Noah. But they both knew - or thought that - it was impossible for Caleb to get pregnant again after he had his tubes tied.

Zach bounced Savannah on his lap, smiling happily as Caleb and Noah snuggled together on the couch. He handed Caleb a card from him that detailed the vacation he was taking the whole family on to celebrate Caleb's birthday. They were going to the French Riviera to lie on the beach with the kids and drink wine.

The sitter, a woman from Noah's day care that he loved, would be there soon and then they would head out to the restaurant to meet his parents and Jen. The dinner was fancy and both of them were dressed up though Zach was stashing a change of clothes in the car that was picking them up to drive them around for the evening because the second part of the evening was definitely less fancy.

Caleb took the card from Zach and opened it slowly. His eyes went wide at the itinerary that was written out for him "The French Riviera? Zach..." Caleb sighed and smiled at his husband. Leaning over, he pressed a kiss to Zach's lips "You know you didn't have to do that, right? I would have been just happy staying home and celebrating my birthday with you guys."

"I thought we would all enjoy getting away for a bit," Zach said with a smile. "Savannah is old enough now that it's easier to travel with her and Noah's always liked it so I figured we should get away for a bit. Besides you have been so tired lately. A week on the beach will do you good."

Caleb nodded and smiled "You're right, as usual. Perhaps a week away from work and everything will be good for me -- all of us." Caleb said quietly. He scooted over, keeping Noah in his lap as he placed his head on Zach's shoulder and closed his eyes "I don't know why I'm so tired lately... Maybe I'm working too many hours..." Caleb said quietly, a worried expression crossing his face.

Before either of them could really think on it more, the doorbell rang - Leo barked a couple of times and Noah practically flew off of Caleb's lap to go answer the door. Caleb sighed and shoved himself up as well "Noah, I swear if you open that door you'll stay home with Jen for the week!" Caleb warned as he followed after his son, quickly wrapping an arm around Noah's waist before the three-year-old opened the door.

Noah pouted but didn't argue as he patiently waited for Caleb to open the door - on the other side was their baby sitter for the evening, Amanda, "Manda!!!" Noah squealed and jumped from Caleb's arms and into Amanda's arms.

"Hi, Noah," Amanda said brightly. She hugged him and easily balanced him on her hip. "Are you ready to have some fun tonight?"

"Yeah!" Noah pointed her toward the living room. "Come meet Vannah. She's a baby."

Zach stood up, Savannah in his arms. "Hello Amanda. Noah, she's met Savannah before when we drop you off and pick you up. We're so glad you could do this for us."

"My pleasure," Amanda said, tickling Noah's side. "I'm happy you asked me."

Caleb came back into the living room with everyone else, he leaned against the wall - looking a bit green around the gills, but he smiled happily anyway "Emergency contact information is on a notepad in the dining room. As is money for dinner, and your pay for the evening since we won't be back until much later tonight. Noah and Savannah's grandparents should be coming home at about ten to take over for you." Caleb took a slow breath and blinked a couple of times, seeming to totally space out for a moment.

"Savannah is fussy about eating certain solids and meals in general so I made a list of that - there are bottles ready and waiting for her whenever she wants one - and believe me, when she does want one, you'll know about it." Caleb looked around slowly and shrugged "There are certain television shows we do not allow Noah to watch, we expect that you adhere to our guidelines - again, written out for you in that notebook. Well, actually pretty much everything you need to know about taking care of them - I wrote down for you."

Caleb felt heat rising up in his cheeks and chest; had he gone a little overboard? Or was he sounding more and more like a snobby parent who didn't trust anyone to take care of their children. With a sigh he looked up at Zach "Ready to go?"

"That's so great," Amanda said with a smile as she took Savannah from Zach. "I really appreciate it when parents give details. That makes my job easier."

Zach put his arm around Caleb, smiling at him warmly. "I am definitely ready to go. The car is waiting for us outside. Bye Noah, bye Savannah."

"Bye Daddy! Bye Papa! Go now!" Noah said waving to them from the sofa. Savannah just waved her chubby hands from Amanda's arms. She was always content as long as someone was holding her and loved new people. Zach knew they were lucky getting two even keel, happy kids.

Zach led Caleb outside to the car, ushering him inside and sitting in the back with him. Their driver was a man named Jim who they've used before and Zach exchanged hellos with him. Jim knew their itinerary and just headed out once they were settled.

"You feeling okay?" asked Zach softly.

"Of course, why wouldn't I feel okay?" Caleb asked quietly, biting on his bottom lip as he stared out the window, watching as their neighbors started decorating for Halloween, which was only a few short weeks away from them.

Of course, Caleb knew he couldn't lie to Zach - not without the man knowing about it; Caleb was always so obvious when he lied, biting his lip and not making eye contact "I guess I'm still feeling just a little tired... Work has been kicking me in the ass these past few weeks. I'll be better once I have adults around me, and maybe a cocktail or two in my system." Which they both knew wouldn't happen. Despite being old enough, Caleb still hardly ever drank anything with alcohol in it, except for the occasional glass of wine.

"We don't have to have a late night. If you just want to come home after dinner that is fine," Zach reassured him. "This is your night. You can choose what happens."

Zach pulled him close, rubbing Caleb's thigh gently. As excited as he was to do everything he had planned, the more important thing was having Caleb be happy. He wanted to fuss over him for his birthday and make him feel special. If it ended up just being a fancy dinner and an early bedtime, then so be it.

Caleb turned his head so he was looking at Zach, he shook his head slowly and leaned in to kiss Zach lightly "I want to have a late night, Zach. I want to come home when the clock says four AM... I'm sure I'll feel better once I've eaten and relaxed a little." Caleb said quietly and laid his head on Zach's shoulder, watching the city lights as they passed by the window "We'll see how I feel after dinner."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by DragonKnight
11-15-2019, 01:27 AM